by Judy Kim
Spaghetti with Green Olives, Pancetta and Crispy Lemon Breadcrumbs
Yield: 4 servings
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 cup diced pancetta
2 garlic cloves, grated
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup Manzanilla green olives, pitted and chopped
¼ cup finely chopped parsley, additional for garnish
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
10 ounces spaghetti
Flaky sea salt for garnish
- In a small sauce pan add panko and enough olive oil to just barely cover. Turn heat to medium-low and stir occasionally until golden brown. This step can take some time and creates very crispy breadcrumbs, don't increase heat or it will likely burn. Drain and transfer to a small bowl. Mix in ½ teaspoon salt and half of the lemon zest; set aside. When olive oil has cooled, set aside for future use or discard.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and season with salt. Cook pasta to al dente directions and reserve ¼ cup pasta water.
- Meanwhile, in large sauté pan over medium-low heat, render pancetta until most of the fat melts and meat is crispy, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes; sauté until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, mix in lemon juice, remaining lemon zest, olives, parsley and season with black pepper; sauté until warmed through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in cold butter until melted, it will create a silky sauce.
- Drain pasta directly into sauté pan and add just enough pasta water to create a sauce, toss together until warmed through.
- Garnish with crispy lemon breadcrumbs, flaky sea salt and parsley. Serve immediately.