by Judy Kim
GRILLED STEAK SKEWERS WITH CORN & COUSCOUS SALAD
Yield: 4 servings
A great Summertime recipe easily made on a stovetop grill or on an outdoor grill. I highly suggest this for a dinner party or holiday gathering.
3 ears corn on the cob, shucked and rinsed
2 cups sugar snap peas
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Bamboo skewers, soaked in water
1 ½ pounds flank steak, thinly sliced
1 package of Israeli couscous, cooked according to package directions
½ cup crumbled Cotija cheese, Feta can be a substitute
½ teaspoon chili powder
1 cup finely chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
Edible flowers, optional
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season generously with salt. Add corn, turn off heat and cover for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare a bowl with ice water. Remove corn with tongs and plunge into ice bath; remove when cooled and dry well. Using the same pot of water, add snap peas; cook for 1 minute or less. Prepare ice bath again and repeat process for snap peas; drain well.
2. Cut off kernels; cob can be traditionally standing on it’s end or on it side (can be slightly less messy), discard cobs. Chop snap peas into ½-inch diagonal pieces.
3. In a small bowl combine apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, zest of 1 lime, and juice of 2 limes.
4. Pre-heat grill (indoor grill pan or outdoor grill) on medium-high heat. Thread steak onto the pre-soaked skewers (soaked minimum 10 minutes, preferably 30 minutes). Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place skewers on grill and cook until lightly charred, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a clean plate and loosely tent with foil; let the meat rest.
Optional grill directions for vegetables: Before grilling steak, cook corn directly on grill until charred, rotate as needed. Place large cast iron pan directly on grill with 1/4 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon salt; add sugar snap peas and cook until water has evaporated and peas are charred.
5. In a mixing bowl toss together couscous, cheese, chili powder, cilantro, corn, sugar snap peas and dressing. Serve with steak skewers. Optional to garnish with additional cilantro and edible flower petals.