by Judy Kim
Apple Tart with Ruffled Edges
Yield: 1 (10-inch) Tart, 6 - 8 servings
An apple tart that looks like it took hours to make but without the fuss. The fluttery pastry gives a nice texture and a decorative touch. The technique is simply to stretch the dough. But don't worry, if the edge gets torn and tattered, it will just look even more charming.
Single crust pie dough, such as Vodka Pâte Brisée
3-4 apples, such as Macoun
1 lemon zested
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt crushed by hand, divided
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces and frozen
Confectioners sugar for finishing
- Prepare the Vodka Pâte Brisée Pie Crust recipe, which can be made in advance. Line 10-inch tart pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- Before rolling, let the pie dough come to room temperature, about 5 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll out round disk to thickness between 1/8-inch and 1/4-inch. Keep dough moving and apply just enough flour to prevent it from sticking. Try to avoid using too much flour to prevent the pastry from getting tough. Gently roll onto a rolling pin or fold into quarters and transfer onto parchment lined tart pan. Gently push the pastry into the corners of the tart pan. Trim pastry with scissors or a sharp paring knife, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Place oven rack in middle with Baking Steel or a pizza stone and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare apples by cutting around the core into four pieces. Using the mandoline, carefully slice the apples thinly about 1/4-inch. Keep the slices in groups.
- Zest lemon evenly over the pastry along with 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt. Place groupings of apple slices, slightly fanned out on top of the pastry. See photo for reference. Alternate directions of the apples until the tart pan is filled. Sprinkle sugar, remaining cinnamon and salt evenly all over the apples and top with pieces of butter.
- Gently pinch and stretch the pastry all around the rim, giving the pastry a ruffled edge.
- Place the tart pan directly on the Baking Steel. Bake for 1 hour.
- Place on cooling rack. After completely cool, remove from tart pan and dust with confectioners sugar. Serve with créme frâiche, whipped cream or ice cream.